Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Fun in the Sun

Last Tuesday was another Holiday for Colombia so the kids had no school.  So what do you do on a hot summer day?  Of course...you go swimming. The four youth that live with me, their tutor Robert and I packed up lunch and headed for the jungle.  At Kilometer 11 there is a swimming hole that we went for.  It was outside of town (11 Kilometers) and then about 3 Kilometers into the jungle.  As we were getting out of the jeep the youth were expressing their own concern saying that this place was known to have snake on a regular occasions.  Ok, I know that I am not a girlie girl, but this whole experience was stretching me just a bit.  We found our spot and began to get ready to get in the water.  Some were faster than others.  All were faster than me.  While I was watching and deciding if I wanted to go in, I see two women on the edge of the water cutting up a chicken and cleaning a fish on a log in the water.  The one cutting the chicken would cut off a piece and then dip it in the water to "clean it". 

After a while of swimming the boys decided that they would climb a tree that was over hanging the water and jump from the highest branch.  Jeison was so very funny to watch as he quickly got to the top branch wanting to jump, but the he would freeze and not want to jump, and not want to come down.  He waited about 20 mins before he jumped because he was scared.

I very much wanted to jump from the tree because the high dive has always been one of my favorite things, however it was impossible for me to get up  the tree because I am not a monkey.  I did however jump from  the "cliff" that ran along side the edge of water. 


















It was also very fun to watch Marlon as he fished in the water.  We had no fishing pools, but he was not stopped because of this.  He simply took his hand towel and put it under the water and patiently waited for the fish to swim over it.  Then his plan was to scoop up the towel and catch the fish.  He would even drop pieces of bread in the water to draw the fish.  He did catch a few fish that were about an inch long.




While we sat on the bank and ate our lunch Darwin played his guitar and sang and Kimberly laid in the sun on the log.  We all relaxed and enjoyed our time spent together.  The day ended with ice cream...how else could it end.  LOL



1 comment:

  1. Ha, what a fun day! These kids are amazing!

    ReplyDelete